Thursday, April 11, 2013

Important people!

How could I forget to tell you all about the most important people who are here?! My family in Spain is awesome!!! They are probably the cutest family on the block...seriously. The mom and dad both speak English and they are active people (the triathlons for fun type). And then I have two little sisters.....they are 5 and 6 years old and the most adorable things I have ever seen. The youngest one has glasses and speaks only a few words in English. The oldest one is very good at English for her age and she tries really hard to have English conversations with me (which I LOVE). I brought them both a Big Red stuffed animal and a WKU red towel....you take a minute and think about trying to explain in simple terms to kids of a different first language what both of these items mean....IT WAS DIFFICULT. One of the kids thought that the towel was for the beach (she held it up and it only covered her torso haha). The mother had to help me explain what a mascot was, and then she danced and cheered with the red towel haha! I also gave them a book (in English) where big red visits different places on WKU's campus...we are going to practice their English by reading the book together :)

The day after I gave the girls their presents, they both took their Big Red to school! It was so sweet!! I walked by their room today while they were at school and saw Big Red resting on each of their beds wrapped in the red towel.....too sweeeeeet!

My teacher that I am with at the school is unique....she is very sassy and short tempered which is always hilarious to watch. She has me constantly laughing! My teacher is from Greece and she went to college in England....
I want you to picture a Greek woman with dyed red hair saying the following in a Greek/Spanish accent, "Where did I lay my bloody keys?!"   I don't know why, but every single time she uses the word 'bloody' in a sentence, I immediately start laughing out loud. I am going to have to learn to control myself so that I am not a distraction. I think that I am going to learn a lot from this woman!

Another important person that is here is my friend Emily. For those of you who don't know, Emily and I have been friends at WKU for the past few years. She is a great friend and I am SO thankful that she was also able to come on this trip. We only live a couple of blocks from each other here in Barcelona. We are both teaching secondary English at the school, so somehow (God) we have the same planning periods and lunch schedule. Sometimes our classes even combine! It really is unbelievable how it all worked out because I have not seen most of the student teachers since we left the airport. Emily also has a great family that is very nice to me and invites me to go places with them. I am so thankful for all of the prayer warriors who prayed for our trip, IT WORKED hahaha. I am already learning so many things and I know that this is going to be an awesome experience!

2 comments:

  1. So great to hear about all the answered prayers! sounds like you're having a blast so far :)

    ReplyDelete